Monday, January 14, 2008

a few conversational pieces

grace's phone call to her daddy on her birthday:
grace-hi daddy, guess what? i get gerbils for my birthday!
daddy-oh really? who says?
grace-mom said it was ok. it's my birthday present.
daddy-mom did? really? well, is mom there? i would really like to talk to her. (not happy)
grace-nope, but i will tell her you want to talk to her.

me-hey did you want to talk to me?
daddy-what the *heck* is this about grace getting gerbils? tell me this is a joke.
me-no, what's the big deal? it's just for the weekend.
daddy-the weekend? she told me they were her birthday present!
me-yeah, from her teacher. she's getting to take them home for the weekend because her birthday is this week.
daddy-thank goodness. you had me worried there for a minute.

why would my husband be worried? well, perhaps it is the fact that over the past year we have had 2 turtles, several fish, a puppy, 4 chickens, and the kids are getting a pig and a lamb. what do these pets all have in common? well, let's just say the kids know who to ask...and it's definitely not dad! of course i am not a big fan of small rodents, so i would have said no to the gerbils. of course rats are a different story!

at wendy's restaurant
zack-i need to go potty
me-whatever. you have a diaper on.
zack-i want to go potty.
me-fine, let's go.
few minutes later
me-good job buddy! you pooped in the potty! i am so proud of you!
after washing hands and leaving the restroom
zack-I POOPED IN THE POTTY! I POOPED IN THE POTTY
amidst the giggles and laughter of all the patrons, workers, and my own family...
me-zack, that's great, but we don't need to yell it to everyone.
zack-I POOPED IN THE POTTY! DADDY I POOPED IN THE POTTY!
me-eat your nuggets. (trying to hold in my own laughter at this point)

i love kids. the funny things they say, the reactions of others when they hear it...what could be better?

No comments: